Unit 6: Evolutionary History and Biological Diversity
Time line: 2 Weeks
1. Formulate a discussion based on the analysis of the history and modern developments in the science of Taxonomy.
2. Compare the form and function of the organisms of the kingdom Monera.
3. Analyze the diversity of the moneran organisms.
4. Investigate,analyze and evaluate the importance of the monerans.
5. Identify the characteristics of the kingdom Protista.
6. Analyze the phyla of Protista: compare and contrast the protozoa and algae.
1. Teacher handout: Graphic depiction of the modern taxonomic scheme. Objective: 1.
2. Students will complete the worksheet on taxonomy.
3. Teacher Lab: Form and function of Bacteria. Prepared slides and the compound microscope. Objectives: 2,3,and 4.
4. Teacher Lab: Comparison of Protozoans and Algae. Prepared slides and the compound microscope. Objectives: 5 and 6.
5. Students will complete the worksheet on Protista.
1. Teacher Labs are guided practice and will not be counted in the grading process.
2. Pop quizzes are formative assessments and will not be counted in the grading process.
3. Major Test: Summative and will follow the A P Exam format.
1. Biology Fourth Edition, Neil Campbell, Obj. 1, Pp.484-92; Obj. 2
523-29; Obj. 3, 529-34; Obj. 4, Pp. 534-35; Obj. 5, P. 541;
Obj. 6. Pp. 542-54.
2. The Biology Problem Solver, Pp. 126, 137,145-167, 194, 326-