Unit 3: The Gene
Time line: 6 Weeks
1. Analyze the development of the scientific research involved in the search for DNA.
2. Analyze and synthesize the process of DNA replication.
3. Evaluate the development and implications of Beadle and Tatum's hypothesis " One Gene one Protein".
4. Analyze and synthesize the processes of Transcription and RNA formation.
5. Derive a working knowledge of translation( protein synthesis) and be able to construct a viable protein from a given DNA code.
6. Classify the cause and value of genetic mutations and their effect on proteins.
7. Recognize the form and function of a virus.
8. Develop a working knowledge of viral reproduction. Be able to distinguish between the lytic and lysogenic cycles of a viron.
9. Define and discuss the methods involved in the transfer and recombination of bacterial genes.
10. Analyze and discuss the processes of regulation and gene expression in prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
11. Evaluate the form and function of an eukaryotic chromosome.
12. Develop a working knowledge of Mendels Law of Independent Assortment.
13. Develop a working knowledge of Mendels Law of Segregation.
14. Analyze The laws of Independent assortment and segregation using the rules of probability.
15. Differentiate among the following: multiple alleles, pleiotrophy,epistasis and polygenetic inheritance. Be able to recognize the type of inheritance exhibited from assorted genetic problems.
16. Analyze the cause and effects of human genetic problems by constructing and interpreting a Karyotype.
1. Students will complete the worksheet on the properties of DNA. worksheets
2. Class Transcription Project. Students will work cooperatively in determining the correct process needed to complete the synthesis of the protein Insulin. labs
3. Discussion on the operons and their relationship to the managing of the cell's resources.
4. Discuss the form and function of the virus and its life cycles. Complete the worksheet on the Virus. worksheets
5. Students will complete the worksheet on bacteria transformation worksheets
6. Students will complete the AP Lab Genetics.
7. Student Activity: Create note cards of each of Mendels laws. They will apply these laws by solving various genetic problems. worksheets
8. Complete the karyotype lab. labs.
1. Teacher Labs are guided practice and will not be counted in the grading process.
2. Pop quizzes are formative assessments and will not be counted in the grading process.
3. Major Test: Summative and will follow the A P Exam format.
4. AP Labs are summative and will be counted in the grading process.